Recruiting and selecting employees should always be considered carefully by any business regardless of their size. The people you employ will form an essential part of your business strategy, and will contribute greatly to the making or breaking of your business.
To make sure that you bring the best people on board, you will need to ensure that your recruitment process is fine-tuned, non-discriminatory and tailored to your business needs.
For an overview of the recruitment stages and general considerations, download Appendix 2S: Recruitment process flowchart (DOC, 87K).
For sample documents to help with particular stages of the recruitment process, see below.
These documents can be found in the Employers' Handbook under Section 2: Recruiting new employees, and are numbered as they are presented in the handbook.
Advertising your vacancy
You will need to prepare a job description, a person specification and an application form to advertise your vacancy. To help you do this, you can download and use our sample recruitment forms and documents:
- Appendix 2A: Sample job description document (DOC, 12K)
- Appendix 2B: Sample person specification document (DOC, 14K)
- Appendix 2C: Sample recruitment advertisement (DOC, 12K)
- Appendix 2D: Sample job application form (DOC, 17K)
- Appendix 2D: Sample monitoring questionnaire for job applicants (DOC, 13K)
Once you receive replies from candidates to your vacancy advertisement, you will need to draw up a shortlist and invite those shortlisted to an interview. To help you do this, you can download and use our sample shortlisting documentation:
- Appendix 2E: Sample shortlisting record table (DOC, 15K)
- Appendix 2F: Shortlisting guidance (DOC, 13K)
- Appendix 2G: Sample letter of invitation to first interview (DOC, 12K)
- Appendix 2H: Sample rejection letter to applicant following shortlisting exercise (DOC, 12K)
The more preparation you do for the interview, the easier it will be for both you and the candidate. To help you prepare and carry out the interview correctly, download and read our factsheets on interviewing, and use our sample record of interview documents:
- Appendix 2I: Sample interview record document (DOC, 13K)
- Appendix 2J: Sample interview report document (DOC, 13K)
- Appendix 2K: Preparing for job interviews factsheet (DOC, 14K)
- Appendix 2L: Interview practicalities and structure (DOC, 13K)
- Appendix 2M: Do's and don'ts of interviewing job applicants (DOC, 14K)
- Appendix 2P: Sample rejection letter to applicant following job interview (DOC, 11K)
Find further guidance on selecting new staff, and keeping legally compliant while doing so, in our guidance on advertising a job and interviewing candidates.