There are several sources of sector-specific advice on skills development for employees working in a particular industry.
Sector Skills Councils (SSCs)
SSCs can provide you with sector-specific advice on skills development for employees doing particular jobs.
SSCs are independent, employer-led organisations that provide a range of services to help employers to reduce skills shortages and improve learning standards.
Sector Training Councils (STCs)
There are currently eight STCs in Northern Ireland. Their role is to:
- articulate the skills, education and training needs of their sectors in the short and longer term
- advise on training standards required for those sectors
- work with the Department for Employment and Learning and corresponding SSCs to ensure that those training needs and standards are met
You can find out more about the STCs on their individual websites:
- Construction Industry Training Board (CITB)
- Electrical Training Trust (ETT)
- Engineering Training Council (ETC)
- Food & Drink Sector Skills (FDSS)
- Momentum - represents Information, Communication & Technology Industry
- Northern Ireland Screen (NIS)
- NI Polymers Association (NIPA)
- Transport Training Services