Make child maintenance deductions from an employee's pay

Attachment of Earnings Orders - 1993 and 2003 schemes

Courts can issue you with Attachment of Earnings Orders (AEOs), which mean that you must take money directly from an employee's earnings. AEOs work in a similar way to Deduction from Earnings Orders (DEOs) issued by the Child Maintenance Service (CMS).

If you are sent a DEO by CMS and an AEO by a court for the same employee, in these circumstances, there are rules that govern which money you should take first.

If you cannot take the full amount for the DEO because of earlier court orders, please contact CMS.

How to contact CMS - 1993 and 2003 schemes

For help or more information:

  • call CMS employer helpline on 0800 171 2039
  • if you have speech or hearing difficulties, a textphone service is available on 0800 587 1381
  • email CMS at - this is not a secure email address so do not enter personal information

The CMS employer helpline is open Monday to Friday, from 08:00 to 17:00.

nidirect guidance on contacting 08 and 03 telephone numbers.

Related information

The following information provides some further guidance: