2 October 2019
This guidance was withdrawn on 31 January 2020. Postponed VAT accounting is currently not available between 1 February and 31 December 2020. Check the current VAT rules for bringing goods from the EU.
How to complete your return if you've chosen to account for import VAT on your VAT Return in a no-deal Brexit
If your business is registered for VAT in the UK and you’ve chosen to account for import VAT on your VAT Return in a no-deal Brexit, you need to complete your VAT Return.
How to complete your VAT Return
An online monthly statement will be available to download and keep for your records. It will show the total import VAT postponed for the previous month and when you should include it in your VAT Return.
There will also be changes to the way you complete the boxes on your VAT Return.
Box number and what to include
- Box 2 - VAT due in this period on imports accounted for through postponed accounting
- Box 4 - VAT reclaimed in this period on purchases and other inputs (including imports)
- Box 8 - Total value of all exports of goods, excluding any VAT
- Box 9 - Total value of all imports of goods, excluding any VAT
If your VAT Return period includes 31 October 2019 you’ll need to account for VAT in 2 ways:
1. Use your current process up to 22:59 UK time on 31 October 2019.
2. Account for import VAT on your VAT Return from 23:00 UK time on 31 October 2019.
CHIEF or CDS will issue the following import VAT statement:
- a C79 import VAT certificate for imports made up to 22.59 UK time on 31 October 2019
- a monthly import VAT statement for imports made from 23:00 UK time on 31 October 2019