19 September 2019
IPAFFS will replace the EU’s TRACES after Brexit
The Import of Products, Animals, Food and Feed System (IPAFFS) is the UK’s new system for importing animals, animal products, high-risk food and animal feed of non-animal origin.
IPAFFS will replace the EU’s TRACES (Trade Control and Expert System) after Brexit.
Businesses must use IPAFFS for imports from non-EU countries from day one - it will later be expanded to include imports from EU countries.
The UK and EU are negotiating the possibility of continued access to TRACES, however this would not be confirmed until just before Brexit - you should familiarise yourself with the new imports process ahead of Brexit.
What will IPAFFS do?
- control imports of live animals, products of animal origin, high-risk food and feed of non-animal origin from non-EU countries (third countries)
- allow importers or agents to create an import notification and legal declaration for their consignments
- allow consignments to be inspected at UK border inspection posts (BIPs) or designated point of entry (DPEs)
- record the results of inspections against each notification
- trigger the HMRC customs clearance process
Registering for IPAFFS
Registration is now open. Individuals need to create a Government Gateway account for the business or organisation they represent.
If you have a personal Government Gateway account, you should create a new one so your business contact details are linked to it.
If you’re registering on behalf of a business or organisation, you also need the:
- main contact details for your business or organisation (for example, for head office)
- Companies House number if you’re registering on behalf of a limited company
You can request training on how to use IPAFFS by emailing BFPEUExit.ImportsExports@defra.gov.uk.