Brexit: Prepare to use the UKCA mark after Brexit

News article

This guidance is no longer current. It told you how to prepare for a no-deal Brexit. After 31 January 2020 there will be a transition period until the end of 2020, while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. You can use the CE marking if you're placing certain goods on the UK or the EU market until 1 January 2021. For current information, read CE marking.

The UKCA (UK Conformity Assessed) marking is a new UK product marking that will be used for certain goods being placed on the UK market if there's a no-deal Brexit.

Selling your products in the UK
In some cases, you will need to apply the new UKCA marking to goods being sold in the UK immediately after Brexit.

However, in the majority of cases, you will still be able to use the CE marking for a limited time if you are selling goods on the UK market after exit day. The government will consult and give businesses notice before ceasing to recognise the CE marking.

After this time-limited period, only the UKCA marking will be recognised for the UK market. From that point, you will need to apply the new UKCA marking to your product if:

  • your product is for the UK market
  • your product requires mandatory third-party conformity assessment
  • conformity assessment has been carried out by a UK conformity assessment body

Check if you will need to use the UKCA marking by reading the guidance on placing manufactured goods on the UK market after Brexit.

Selling goods in the EU
The UKCA marking will not be recognised on the EU market. Products that currently require CE marking will still need a CE mark in order to be sold in the EU.

Read the guidance on placing manufactured goods on the EU market after Brexit.

If your goods require CE mark and you sell in the EU, you can continue to:

  • self-declare the conformity of your goods against the regulations
  • voluntarily use a notified body to test against European or international standards

Bear in mind that the results of conformity assessment carried out by UK conformity assessment bodies will no longer be recognised by the EU after Brexit.

This is the case even if the assessment was carried out before the UK leaves the EU, unless the product has already been placed on the market in an EU country.

Appointing an EU-recognised notified body
If you are placing new goods on the EU market that need third-party assessment, you will need to use an EU-recognised notified body.

Find a list of EU-recognised bodies on the NANDO database.

If your products have an existing CE marking status, which results from conformity assessments undertaken by a UK notified body, you should consider transferring assessments to an EU-recognised body before the UK leaves the EU.

Read about the status of conformity assessment bodies after Brexit.

Learn more about using the UKCA marking if there is no Brexit deal or email if you have queries or need further advice on the UKCA mark.