13 August 2019
How businesses can continue to trade and deal in fluorinated greenhouse gases and ozone-depleting substances in the UK and EU if there’s no EU withdrawal deal
If the UK leaves the EU with no deal, the UK will regulate fluorinated greenhouse gases (F gas) and ozone-depleting substances (ODS) from 30 March 2019.
What is F gas and ODS?
F gas and ODS are substances used mainly as refrigerants, but also in other products including:
- medical inhalers
- fire extinguishers
- insulation foams
- feedstocks for the manufacture of other chemicals
Who will the changes affect?
The no deal changes will affect you if you:
- produce, supply, import, export or use bulk F gas or ODS
- manufacture or import equipment containing F gas or ODS
What will change?
F gas and ODS regulations will change from 30 March 2019, if the UK leaves the EU with no deal, including:
- the new quota, reporting and licensing systems for F gas and ODS
- how to apply for quota for 2019 and subsequent years
- how to convert EU quota authorisations into UK authorisations
- how to continue your eligibility for an EU quota to place hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) on the EU market
If you place products on the EU market after exit, you will still need to comply with EU regulations.
GOV.UK has detailed guidance for business on the implications of a no-deal Brexit for F gas and ODS management. This covers topics including:
- the new quota systems for F gas (hydrofluorocarbons - HFCs) and ODS including what to do with stocks of HFCs that you hold on exit day
- how to register for the new UK HFC quota system (as an incumbent quota holder, new entrant or for additional HFC quota)
- transferring and authorising quota (including importing HFCs in pre-charged equipment, importing bulk HFCs to pre-charge equipment for export, converting EU quota authorisations into UK authorisations)
- placing HFCs on the EU market
- reporting F gas activities
- how to register for the new UK ODS quota system (including importing and exporting ODS, reporting ODS use, and using ODS for laboratory and analytical purposes)