3 June 2019
Improve your business' competitiveness through funded partnerships with academics and researchers
A share of £40 million is available through the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme to help your business collaborate with a university, research organisation or highly qualified graduate.
The programme helps promote competitiveness and turn academic thinking into commercial products and services.
How does it work?
KTPs offer funding and support to pair UK businesses and graduates to work on innovative projects.
Businesses can either build on an existing relationship or begin a new partnership with a university, college or research and technology organisation, working with a Knowledge Transfer Advisor to set this up.
Projects can focus on any technology or industry area, and last between one to three years. To be eligible, KTP applications must:
- focus on a specific project
- set out the nature and goals of the project
- give details of who will take part
- establish what the graduate will be expected to deliver
Applications for KTPs are open throughout the year. The current call for applications opened on 30 May and will close on 24 July 2019. If an application misses a deadline, it automatically enters into the next round.
Businesses and not-for-profit organisations of any size can apply. The size of the grant and own contribution can vary. Typically:
- small and medium-sized businesses can contribute around £35,000 per year, or around one-third of the project costs
- large businesses contribute about £55,000 per year, or half of the project costs
Businesses in Northern Ireland that wish to apply can contact Nicola Doherty, KTP Programme Manager with Invest Northern Ireland:
- by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- by phone on Tel 028 9069 8199
KTP Best of the Best awards
The awards recently returned after a 5-year break to celebrate some of the most innovative and exceptional outcomes from the KTP programme. Five awards were given, celebrating engineering excellence, business impact and future innovation among others. Read more about the KTP Best of the Best awards.