Customs Freight Simplified Procedures (CFSP)

The CFSP Simplified Declaration Procedure

There are two main ways that traders can use Customs Freight Simplified Procedures (CFSP). Simplified Declaration Procedure (SDP) and Entry in the Declarant’s Records (EIDR).

Once your goods reach the frontier, you can use SDP to release goods to free circulation, Inward Processing, end use, temporary importation, a Free Zone or customs warehousing.

The SDP process is carried out through the Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system in two stages.

Stage 1: The trader provides minimum details of the consignment at the frontier using a Simplified Frontier Declaration (SFD). The date on the SFD creates the base date for submitting the supplementary, more detailed declaration. Unless the goods are entering a warehouse, it also establishes the tax point for paying the duty and taxes. You may have to present additional documents for controlled goods, as below.

Stage 2: The trader submits the Supplementary Declaration Import before the end of the fourth working day of the month following the month of acceptance of the SFD. To ensure your goods are released quickly, you must fully and accurately complete the declaration and use the correct customs procedure codes (CPCs).

Extra requirements for controlled goods

For controlled goods, including those which are subject to special health or environmental conditions, you will have to send import licences or certificates with the hard copy of your SFD to the National Clearance Hub in Salford. In addition, you must use one of the specific CPCs and complete additional boxes on the SFD.

For civil-use explosives with a health and safety certificate from the Health & Safety Executive, you must send the certificate and supporting documentation with the SFD. For carcinogenic substances you need to produce the exemption certificate and supporting paperwork.

For imports of goods requiring a Rural Payments Agency licence or a drugs licence, you must produce either a paper licence or an e-licence. You must supply the paper licence with a hard copy of the SFD to Customs. For e-licences, you should complete the licence/document code, details and status on CHIEF and send hard-copy SFD and supporting documentation to HMRC.