Chemical manufacturing environmental regulations

Chemical registration and notification for chemical manufacturers


If you manufacture chemical substances, or import them from outside the European Union (EU), you must check if you need to register your substances under the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) Regulation. You may also need to notify the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) under the Classification, Labelling and Packaging of Substances and Mixtures (CLP) Regulation.

Make sure you also follow any restriction or controls placed on the chemicals you produce and classify and label them correctly.

REACH Regulation - when to register chemicals

If you manufacture or import into the EU one tonne or more of a chemical substance in a calendar year, and it is not exempt, you must register the substance with ECHA.

REACH applies to a wide range of chemical substances on their own and in preparations or mixtures including coatings, inks or dyes, cleaning products and chemicals used to produce manmade fibres.

If you manufacture or import a product or article, you may need to register the individual chemical ingredients.

Specific deadlines for registration apply - see manufacturers and importers of chemicals: REACH responsibilities.

CLP Regulation - when to notify ECHA

If you manufacture or import chemical substances, products or mixtures you must classify and label them correctly before you put them on the market. You may also need to notify some substances to ECHA.

You must notify ECHA, through their Classification and Labelling (C&L) inventory, of:

  • substances classified as hazardous under CLP and placed on the market, no matter what the amount
  • substances classified as hazardous under CLP and placed on the market in a mixture above concentration limits specified in Annex I of CLP or in Schedule 3 of the Chemicals (Hazard Information and Packaging for supply) Regulations, no matter what the amount
  • substances which have to be registered under the REACH Regulation

You must notify the C&L Inventory within one month of placing a substance on the market - find more information the ECHA website.

You don't have to notify the C&L Inventory if you have already used the new CLP criteria to provide information to ECHA on a substance's classification as part of a REACH registration.