Choose an insurance adviser and present your risk


As a business owner and/or employer you will use two types of insurance adviser. You will need to identify the type of insurance you need so that you can find a suitable broker for your business.

General and commercial risk insurances are dealt with by an insurance intermediary, sometimes referred to as an insurance broker. An insurance intermediary deals with a number of insurance companies and may be able to secure a better deal for you.

Life assurance, protection and health insurance are dealt with by independent financial advisers (IFAs). Insurance brokers and IFAs act as intermediaries between you and an insurance company.

Alternatively, you can contact insurance companies directly, but you might find it easier to use an insurance broker or IFA.

This guide explains the issues involved in choosing both types of adviser and how to present your risk details. The guide deals with insurances related to health and safety in the workplace. Other types of insurance are looked at in more detail in further guides in our section on insurance.