4 December 2019
Advice to help employers avoid potential problems with staff parties and holidays over the Christmas period
The Labour Relations Agency (LRA) is providing advice to Northern Ireland employers on Christmas holiday requests and avoiding potential problems with Christmas parties. By thinking now about potential problems that could arise over the Christmas period employers can plan ahead to make it a happy Christmas for everyone and minimise the risk of complaints or industrial tribunal claims.
Employer Christmas FAQs
The LRA receives enquiries every Christmas season from local businesses with questions and problems. To help employers prepare and avoid potential issues the LRA have compiled some frequently asked questions which their Workplace Information Service helpline receives each Christmas.
The Christmas period related employer queries cover a range of issues, including:
- managing holiday bookings at Christmas
- choice of party venues and entertainment for the Christmas party
- inappropriate staff behaviour
- harassment, bullying and discrimination
- staff health and safety on and off work premises
- best practice with office decorations
- dealing with post-party absences and disciplinary issues
- photographs posted on social networking sites of the Christmas party