4 December 2018
Advice to help employers avoid potential problems with staff parties and holidays over the Christmas period
The Labour Relations Agency (LRA) is providing advice to Northern Ireland employers on holiday requests and Christmas parties. By thinking now about potential problems that could arise over the Christmas period employers can plan ahead to make it a happy Christmas for everyone and minimise the risk of complaints or industrial tribunal claims. LRA guidance on Christmas and the workplace.
Employer Christmas FAQs
The LRA receives enquiries every Christmas from businesses with questions and problems. To help employers prepare and avoid potential issues the LRA have compiled some frequently asked questions which the helpline receives each Christmas season.
The questions cover a range of employer issues, including:
- managing holiday bookings at Christmas
- choice of party venues and entertainment for the Christmas party
- inappropriate staff behaviour
- harassment, bullying and discrimination
- staff health and safety on and off work premises
- best practice with office decorations
- dealing with post-party absences and disciplinary issues
- photographs posted on social networking sites of the Christmas party