Importing CAP goods

Common Agricultural Policy and milk and eggs

This page explains the special controls relating to milk, milk products and eggs.

You should read the Rural Payment Agency (RPA) leaflets offered on this page in conjunction with RPA leaflet ET1 - The Traders Guide to Importing and Exporting CAP Goods. Note that the rules in the leaflets about specific goods have precedence over the general rules outlined in leaflet ET1. If you are not sure which rules apply, please contact the RPA.

Milk and milk products

You do not need an import licence for imports of milk products if full duty is being paid. There are special schemes, known as quotas, that can reduce the rate of duty you pay for certain products from certain countries for which a licence is required.

You may need to comply with minimum and maximum quantities and lodge security with RPA or HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).


You don't need an import licence to import eggs, but you may need a licence from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA). Read more about products of animal origin.

If you do need a licence you can obtain one from DAERA.

In order to take advantage of the special import scheme for egg imports you'll need to apply for an import licence. The schemes are quota-based and usually work on a quarterly basis. Application periods are the first seven days of the last month of the previous quarter and you'll need to:

  • provide proof of previous trade in the egg sector
  • lodge security
  • comply with minimum and maximum quantities