The sales process - from the initial approach to long after the sale is completed - is governed by a number of law. These are designed to protect your customers.
Playing it by the book can help your business build and maintain an honest and trustworthy reputation.
This guide will help you identify which laws apply to your business including online selling rules, distance selling regulations and data protection rules. It will help you understand how to comply with these rules.
It provides a brief introduction to general trading rules and the special rules for retailers or specialised sectors.
It looks at late-payment legislation that could affect you if you are considering taking action against late payers or if you tend to pay invoices after their due date.
The guide also covers the Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS), which helps you comply with the law on age-restricted sales.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- What you need to do about health and safety
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services