Coronavirus: COVID-19 Charities Fund (second phase)
Further support for local charities facing severe financial difficulty
This scheme has now closed to applications.
A second phase of the COVID-19 Charities Fund opened on 6 January 2021.
The £11.7 million fund will provide financial support to charities that:
- have lost income due to the impact of COVID-19 and
- are unable to cover unavoidable costs between 1 October 2020 and 31 March 2021
Businesses are urged to collect the necessary information and prepare their application ahead of the fund opening. Funding up to £75,000 per organisation will be available.
Previous applicants and awardees will be able to apply in recognition that the support applied to a different six month period. Charities which were previously ineligible due to having received other COVID-19 support funding may also be able to apply.
Community Finance Ireland (CFI) will deliver the second phase of this fund on behalf of the Northern Ireland Executive and the Department for Communities.
CFI assessment will focus on answering:
- what is the minimum amount of funding that is needed to cover unavoidable costs until 31 March 2021
- the extent to which the charity has put in place credible measures to adapt their services and mitigate the loss of income
- the extent to which the community relies on the charity to deliver essential services
Who can apply?
To be eligible, charities must:
- be established prior to 31 March 2020
- be a lawfully operating charity as defined by the Charities Act (NI) 2008
- have at least two unrelated people on its board or committee
- have a UK bank or building society account in the legal name of the charity with at least two unrelated people who can manage the account
- have been financially stable prior to the impact of COVID-19
- be able to demonstrate that fundraising or trading income has reduced due to the impact of COVID -19
- be unable to meet unavoidable costs up to 31 March 2021
- have unavoidable costs that cannot be covered by existing grants or public funding
Who cannot apply?
- Community Amateur Sports Club
- Community Interest Company
- Non charitable social enterprise
- Non charitable trading arm
COVID-19 Charities Fund readiness information
To help you prepare in advance for application, CFI have published:
- guidance notes
- application form (part A and B)
- financial overview document
You can download these resources from the CFI website. All of these elements will need to form part of your completed application.
Help with application
NICVA is providing advice for potential applicants to the COVID-19 Charities Fund through:
- their advice hub - submit an enquiry or arrange a call-back from the NICVA team
You will be able to submit an application to COVID-19 Charities Fund from 6 January 2021 to 4pm on 22 January 2021.
First published 7 December 2020