Coronavirus: Large NAV Business Grant
The Large NAV Business Grant provides financial support to businesses that occupied commercial premises with an NAV (Net Annual Value) over £51,000 at 1 March 2021 that were awarded the 12-month rates holiday for 2020-21, subject to some exclusions
The Large NAV Business Grant closed to applications at 11:59pm on 14 May 2021.
Businesses which were eligible for the 12-month rates holiday include retail, hospitality, tourism, leisure, manufacturing, and childcare businesses, and newspaper producers.
The scheme is designed to support the business which is the main occupier of a property, not the landlord or managing agent or any businesses/self-employed parties who rent part of the property from the main occupying business. Occupying businesses who consider themselves eligible for support from this scheme could apply even if they were not the named ratepayer on the business rate bill for the property.
Only one grant will be paid to businesses which occupy multiple premises.
Applications will be processed in line with the following Financial Regulations:
As required by the Financial Regulations, there are a number of exclusions to the Large NAV Business Grant, including:
- Businesses which occupied business premises with an NAV of £51,000 or less on 1 March 2021
- Businesses which previously received, or are entitled to receive, Large Tourism and Hospitality Business Support. See Coronavirus: Large Tourism and Hospitality Business Support Scheme for details of eligibility.
- Petrol station retailers or food retailers (as defined in Part 2 of Schedule 1 to the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 2) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020.
- The three main airports: Belfast City Airport, Belfast International Airport and City of Derry Airport.
- Public sector bodies, statutory undertakers, NI Housing Executive or Housing Associations.
- Persons entitled to possession of the property as a liquidator or in respect of a bankruptcy order, companies in administration or subject to an administration order and companies subject to a winding up order or which is being voluntarily wound up.
- Applications in respect of commercial premises which are vacant. Rates information as at 1 March 2021 will be used to verify the occupancy status of the property in line with the Rates (Northern Ireland) Order 1977. For more details see the Rates (Northern Ireland) Order 1977.
Full details about the Large NAV Business Grant are set out in the Large NAV Business Grant Scheme Guidance (PDF, 965K).
Payments made in relation to the Large NAV Business Grant are not automatic.
Businesses were required to complete an online application and provide the required verification documents before they were considered for the Large NAV Business Grant. As part of the online application businesses were required to provide:
- A bank statement covering the period including 1 March 2021 relating to the bank account that the grant would be paid into if the application was deemed to be successful.
- A copy of your lease agreement if you are not the ratepayer who receives the rate bill for this business directly from Land & Property Services.
Deadline for applications
The Large NAV Business Grant was open to online applications from 12 noon on Wednesday 21 April 2021 until 11.59pm on Friday 14 May 2021.
Payments to successful applicants
Applications are currently being processed. Large NAV Business Grant payments will begin to issue to successful applicants from the end of May 2021.
There is a cap of £50,000 in relation to the value of the grant payment that applicants can receive across the following COVID-19 grant schemes: the Large NAV Business Grant; the £25,000 Retail, Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Grant; and the £10,000 Small Business Support Grant.
The rate of grant payment that will be issued to successful applicants through the Large NAV Business Grant will be calculated based on the level of support that has already been provided to the applicant business through these schemes.
Overpayments in relation to the Coronavirus Localised Restrictions Support Scheme will be offset against your Large NAV Business Grant (if your application is successful).
Below are some illustrative examples to demonstrate how the Department of Finance is taking additional schemes into consideration. The actual amount that will be received by successful applicants will be dependent on the individual circumstances of each business.
|Illustrative Examples of Large NAV Grant Payments Dependent on Support Provided Through Other Schemes||Maximum Large NAV Business Grant Payment|
Further information about this scheme is available in the Large NAV Business Grant Scheme Guidance (PDF, 965K).
Queries about the scheme can be sent to the Large NAV Business Grants Team using an online contact form only:
- Contact form for applicants who have submitted an online application only (note that you will be required to provide your application reference number)
- Contact form for general enquiries
To allow the Department of Finance to focus on processing applications as quickly as possible, please ensure that you review the scheme guidance to try to answer your query before completing an online contact form.
First published 21 April 2021