Coronavirus: Self-Employment Income Support Scheme - fifth grant
A fifth grant covering May 2021 to September 2021 is now open to claims until 30 September 2021
The grant is taxable and will be paid out in a single instalment.
For further guidance on eligibility for the scheme and how to make a claim see:
Who can claim
To be eligible for the grant you must be a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership.
When you must have traded
You must have traded in the tax years:
- 2019 to 2020 and submitted your tax return on or before 2 March 2021
- 2020 to 2021
You must either:
- be currently trading but are impacted by reduced demand due to coronavirus
- have been trading but are temporarily unable to do so due to coronavirus
Your tax returns
You must have:
- submitted your 2019 to 2020 tax return on or before 2 March 2021
- trading profits of no more than £50,000
- trading profits at least equal to your non-trading income
If you’re not eligible based on the trading profits in your 2019 to 2020 return, HMRC will look back at previous years.
HMRC will already have contacted you if you’re eligible for the grant based on your tax returns.
Deciding if you can claim
When you make your claim you must tell HMRC that you:
- intend to keep trading in 2021 to 2022
- reasonably believe there will be a significant reduction in your trading profits due to the impact of COVID-19 between 1 May 2021 and 30 September 2021
You must keep evidence that shows how your business has been impacted by coronavirus resulting in less business activity than otherwise expected.
HMRC expects you to make an honest assessment about whether you reasonably believe your business will have a significant reduction in profits.
How the fifth grant is different
The amount of the fifth grant will be determined by how much your turnover has been reduced in the year April 2020 to April 2021.
HMRC will provide more information and support from early July 2021 to help you work out how your turnover was affected.
How much you’ll get
|Turnover reduction||How much you’ll get||Maximum grant|
|30% or more||80% of 3 months’ average trading profits||£7,500|
|less than 30%||30% of 3 months’ average trading profits||£2,850|
When you can claim
The online claims service for the fifth grant is now available - to make your claim see Coronavirus: Claim a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme. Claims must be made on or before 30 September 2021.
First published 2 June 2021