30 July 2020
Round 2 of the Sustainable Innovation Fund has opened
Innovate UK, as part of UK Research and Innovation, is investing up to £26 million to fund single and collaborative research and development (R&D) projects as part of the Sustainable Innovation Fund.
COVID-19 has affected R&D across all sectors. The aim of this competition is to help all sectors of the UK recover, grow, and create new opportunities from the aftermath of the global health pandemic.
UK registered businesses can apply for a share of this funding for new projects focusing on sustainable economic recovery from COVID-19. To be eligible:
- your proposal must show evidence of key challenges as a direct consequence of COVID-19, and how your project can help solve them
- you must consider your proposal's impact on climate change and/or environmental sustainability
- you should address where necessary, equality, diversity, and inclusion in relation to your project, your organisation(s) and your approach to innovation
Innovate UK will fund a portfolio of projects, across a variety of technologies, markets, regions, technological maturities and research categories, including the following themes:
- decarbonisation, circular economy and/or biodiversity
- climate change and environmental sustainability
- geographic or regionally targeted innovation
- innovation that is aimed at commercial or residential users
- innovations that work across more than one sector
- follow-on international opportunities that help the UK lead the world
This competition is round 2 of a potential 3.
- round 1 - Temporary Framework (closes 29 July)
- round 2 - De Minimis (this competition)
- round 3 - Temporary Framework (opening September 2020)
Round 2 of the Sustainable Innovation Fund closes for applications at 11:00 on Wednesday 2 September.
For more information, watch a video of the applicant briefing that took place on 30 July.
First published 28 July 2020