Coronavirus: Waste sector temporary measures
Temporary measures for the waste industry to help waste operators and local authorities to cope with the challenges of COVID-19
The Department for Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA), and it's executive agency the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA), have published a series of temporary Covid-19 waste Regulatory Positions.
The waste industry is an essential service during the coronavirus pandemic. DAERA and NIEA's temporary guidance is designed to help the waste sector through disruption to waste management services.
Operators are expected to ensure impacts on the environment are minimised, and you must still comply with all of your other environmental regulatory requirements.
The temporary COVID-19 waste Regulatory Positions include guidance on:
- waste shipments to and from Northern Ireland
- arrangements for movements of hazardous waste
- variation of licence/permit conditions for Authorised Waste Facilities
- storage and/or treatment of waste at a site that does not hold a waste management licence or permit
- Operator Competence For Authorised Waste Facilities
- The Producer Responsibility (Packaging Waste) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2007 and amendments
First published 30 April 2020