Coronavirus: Working safely in different business settings

News article

Guidance to help employers, employees and the self-employed understand how to work safely during coronavirus

The government has produced guidance on how to work safely in different types of workplaces.

Some of the listed sector guidance has been produced for businesses in England but includes general best practice advice that will highlight practical actions relevant businesses can take.

In addition to these guides for practical advice, local businesses can also refer to:

Many businesses operate more than one type of workplace, such as an office, factory and fleet of vehicles. You may need to use more than one of these guides as you think through what you need to do to keep people safe.

  • Accommodation - Tourism NI guidance for hotels, self-catering, B&Bs, guesthouses, caravan parks and other types of accommodation.
  • Close contact services - Guidance for people who provide close contact services, including hairdressers, barbers, beauticians, tattooists, sports and massage therapists, dress fitters, tailors and fashion designers as well as those providing mobile close contact services from their homes or in other people's homes.
  • Construction and other outdoor work - Guidance for people who work in or run outdoor working environments.
  • Cultural and heritage sites - Department for Communities guidance for museums, art galleries, libraries, archives, historic buildings, historic gardens, historic monuments, cinemas, concert halls, art centres and theatres.
  • Events and attractions - Guidance for people who work in settings related to events and visitor attractions.
  • Food businesses - Food safety and hygiene guidance for food businesses to operate safely.
  • Hotels and guest accommodation - Guidance for people who work in or run hotels or other guest accommodation.
  • Offices, factories and labs - Guidance for people who work in or run offices, factories, plants, warehouses, labs and research facilities and similar indoor environments.
  • Grassroots sports providers and facility operators - Guidance for sports providers on how to organise and participate in grassroots sport and physical activity as safely as possible.
  • Public transport operators - Department for Infrastructure guidance to help public transport operators provide safer workplaces and services for themselves, their staff and passengers.
  • Restaurants, pubs and bars and food services - Tourism NI guidance for people who work in or run restaurants, pubs, bars, cafés, mobile catering or catering services.
  • Shops, branches and close contact services - Guidance for people who work in or run shops, branches, stores or similar environments.
  • Vehicles - Guidance for people who work in or from vehicles, including couriers, mobile workers, lorry drivers, on-site transit and work vehicles.
  • Sport, leisure and recreation - Department for Communities guidance for sport and leisure facility owners/operators.

Where to get further guidance

Find advice and support from your business representative organisation or trade association.

First published 19 May 2020