Make child maintenance deductions from an employee's pay

Deduction from Earnings Orders (DEOs)


Deduction from earnings orders (DEOs) are a way of collecting child maintenance directly from a paying parent's earnings or pension.

The paying parent is the parent who doesn't have main day-to-day care of the child.

When you'll get a DEO

You'll be sent a deduction from earnings order (DEO) if one of your employees is a paying parent who:

  • chooses to pay child maintenance direct from their earnings
  • doesn't pay the correct amount of child maintenance on time
  • doesn't pay at all

The DEO will be sent to you by the Child Maintenance Service (CMS).

What you need to do

You must deduct the amount of child maintenance stated on the DEO from your employee's net earnings or their pension and pay it to the Child Maintenance Service. This will include any arrears that are due.

If you have any questions you can contact the Child Maintenance Service:

Online using My Child Maintenance Case.

The service also lets you:

  • see all deductions for the Child Maintenance Service
  • report and make changes
  • send messages
  • see important information you've been sent


You can also call if you have any questions.

Child Maintenance Service Employer Payment Team
Telephone: 0800 232 1961
Text relay number: 18001 0800 171 2345
nidirect guidance on contacting 08 and 03 telephone numbers

  • CMS employer helpline
    0800 232 1961
  • CMS text relay number
    18001 0800 171 2345
Developed with:
  • Department for Communities