Environmental permits and licences - an overview


Business activities that may cause pollution or that pose another risk to the environment are regulated.

You must ensure that you have appropriate authorisation for the activities your business carries out. Most authorisations are issued by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA), but some are issued by your district council or water and sewerage company.

This guide outlines the main environmental authorisations including pollution prevention and control permits, waste management licences, water discharge consents, groundwater authorisations, abstraction licences and hazardous waste notification.