EU Exit: Register for the Goods Vehicle Movement Service
Last updated 24 May 2021
If you’re a haulier that moves goods through one or more ports that uses the Goods Vehicle Movement Service, you should apply to use Goods Vehicle Movement Service.
If you’re a haulier that moves goods into Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) from the EU, you only need to register if your goods are moving under the Common Transit Convention.
When to register
You can register from 8 December 2020.
Before you register
You should use exactly the same address for Goods Vehicle Movement Service registration that you have used for any other Government Gateway service.
Your registration application will be delayed if you use a different address.
You can find out the address you have previously used by accessing a HMRC service you’re already registered for and checking your details.
To register, you will need to get an EORI starting with GB.
How to register
You will need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one for your business when you register.
Online services may be slow during busy times. Check if there are any problems with this service.
After you’ve registered
You need to get a goods movement reference.
Add a team member
Adding a team member to the Goods Vehicle Movement Service means that you can:
- have multiple team members use the service when needed
- manage each member’s level of access to the HMRC services you’ve signed up to
Follow these steps to add a team member:
- Sign into your Business Tax Account as an administrator and select ‘Manage account’.
- Add the team member by selecting ‘Add or delete a team member’.
- Select ‘Add a team member’ and enter the member’s details.
- Once you’ve added the team member, you’ll get a confirmation message.
- Return to the team members list where you’ll find the newly added team member, select ’Manage’.
- Make sure you select ‘Give a team member access to a tax, duty or scheme’.
- Choose ‘Manage team members’ for the ‘Goods Vehicle Movement Service‘ option.
- Select the team member and make sure that the ‘goods Vehicle Movement Service’ is also selected then ‘Save’ your choices.