Creative industries: international trade regulations

Export regulations in the creative industries sector


Regulations, charges or other restrictions may apply to any exports as they leave the UK and when they arrive at their destination country. It is important that you research both sides of the transaction.

Read more about exporting your goods from the EU to a third country.

First, you need to classify your goods. Use of standardised classification codes makes it easier to check if any restrictions or charges apply.

See an introduction to the Tariff.

Access the UK Trade Tariff.

Remember that in general it's much simpler to trade with other European Union (EU) countries than with countries outside the EU. This is because the goods are in free circulation. The EU is a single market and the UK is in a Customs Union, so you can trade with other EU countries without restriction (although some local charges may still apply).

Other sector-specific export rules

See specific regulations for the export of creative and media goods.

Export licensing for goods with military uses

An export licence is required to export specified goods with military uses. Read more about export licences for military and dual-use goods.

Firearms, arms and armour over 50 years of age are cultural goods and you will also need to obtain a licence from the Arts Council for those above certain financial thresholds. The list of goods requiring a licence does not include many creative or media goods/services, although one notable exception is for cryptographic development software.

Export licensing for objects of cultural interest

See - do you need an export or import licence.

Exporting goods for processing

You may be able to obtain relief from customs duties when you re-import European Union (EU) goods that have previously been exported from the EU for processing. Outward Processing Relief (OPR) enables you to claim relief from customs duty if you can show that the exported goods were used in - or incorporated into - the products being imported.

Before you can claim duty relief under OPR, however, you must have the appropriate authorisation.