International trade regulations in the Energy and power sector

Export regulations in the energy and power sector

Regulations, charges or other restrictions may apply to energy and power exports as they leave the UK and when they arrive at their destination country. It is important that you research both sides of the transaction.

Read more about exporting your goods from the EU to a third country and dispatching your goods within the EU.

First, you need to classify your goods. Use of standardised classification codes in the Integrated Tariff of the United Kingdom (the Tariff) makes it easier to check if any restrictions or charges apply. Access the UK Trade Tariff.

Remember that in general it is much simpler to trade with other European Union (EU) countries than with countries outside the EU. This is because the goods are in free circulation. The EU is a single market and the UK is in a Customs Union, allowing trade with other EU countries without restriction (although some local charges may still apply).

If you export nuclear products, you must comply with strict regulations. See trading in nuclear energy.

If you handle any oil or gas products, you'll also have to comply with certain regulations. See oil, gas, refining and petrochemicals.

Export licensing and certification

An export licence is required to export specified goods with military uses. The list of goods requiring a licence does not include any energy or power products, although you may require a licence for goods with a potential military use, eg components for use in nuclear production. In addition, similar licensing rules apply when brokering the sale of certain dual-use goods that could be used for military purposes and in particular for weapons of mass destruction.

Read more about the different types of export licence.

You can read GOV.UK guidance on brokering dual-use goods.