International trade regulations in the Household goods, furniture and furnishings sector

Export regulations in the household goods, furniture and furnishings sector

Regulations, charges or restrictions may apply to household goods, furniture and furnishings exports as they leave the UK and when they arrive at their destination country. It is important that you research both sides of the transaction.

For more information, see exporting your goods from the EU to a third country and dispatching your goods within the EU.

First, you need to classify your goods. Use of standardised classification codes makes it easier to check if any restrictions or charges apply. You can use the Integrated Tariff of the United Kingdom (the Tariff) to classify your goods. Read more about the classification of goods.

Access the UK Trade Tariff.

Remember that in general it is simpler to trade with other European Union (EU) countries than with countries outside the EU. This is because the goods are in free circulation. The EU is a single market and the UK is in a Customs Union, so you can trade with other EU countries without restriction (although some local charges may still apply).

Where goods of cultural interest, such as art, antiques and antiquities, are leaving the UK, a licence will be required if their value reaches a certain threshold - currently £39, 219 for items associated with this sector.

Exporting goods for processing

You may be able to obtain relief from customs duties when you re-import EU goods that have previously been exported from the EU for processing. Outward Processing Relief (OPR) enables you to claim relief from customs duty if you can show that the exported goods were used in - or incorporated into - the products being imported.

Before you can claim duty relief under OPR, however, you must have the appropriate authorisation. For more information, read notice 235 on OPR and see outward processing relief (OPR).