International trade regulations in the Agriculture, horticulture and fisheries sector

Export regulations in the UK agriculture, horticulture and fisheries sector

Regulations, charges or other restrictions may apply to agriculture, horticulture and fisheries exports as they leave the UK and when they arrive at their destination country. It is important that you research both sides of the transaction.

First, you need to classify your goods. Use of standardised classification codes makes it easier to check if any restrictions or charges apply. You can use the Integrated Tariff of the United Kingdom (the Tariff) to classify your goods. Read more about the classification of goods.

Read an introduction to the Tariff and access the UK Trade Tariff.

Remember that in general it is much simpler to trade with other European Union (EU) countries than with countries outside the EU. This is because the goods are in free circulation. The EU is a single market and the UK is in a Customs Union, so you can trade with other EU countries without restriction (although some local charges may still apply).

Specific agriculture, horticulture and fisheries regulations

Some agricultural products, livestock, animal products and endangered plants or animals are regulated. Read more about export regulations for animals, animal products, plants and plant products. You must also comply with general export procedures. 

Find details of food and drink regulations.

Exporting goods for processing

You may be able to obtain relief from customs duties when you re-import EU goods that have previously been exported from the EU for processing. Outward Processing Relief (OPR) enables you to claim relief from customs duty if you can show that the exported goods were used in - or incorporated into - the products being imported.

Before you can claim duty relief under OPR, however, you must have the appropriate authorisation.