Horizon 2020 offers many funding opportunities for research and innovation activities. It does this through calls for proposals that are set out in the Horizon 2020 work programmes.
How to find Horizon 2020 calls
Horizon 2020 calls are publicised on the Horizon 2020 participant portal.
There are several ways you can find the right opportunities. You can:
On the participant portal, you can also find calls of the other EU programmes and learn about other research and innovation funding opportunities.
Read more about finding a call in the Horizon 2020 online manual.
Horizon 2020 eligibility criteria
Different funding calls may have different conditions and eligibility criteria. To apply for the majority of Horizon 2020 funding, you must normally be a part of a consortium. Usually, this involves a team of at least three partner organisations from different countries.
Some opportunities may be open to single-organisation applications, eg:
- European Research Council research grants
- Marie Sklodowska-Curie actions
- SME instrument - see more on Horizon 2020 opportunities for SMEs
Read more about finding partners when applying to Horizon 2020 calls or watch a video on the evaluators' top tips for project proposers.
Applying for Horizon 2020 calls
Horizon 2020 calls are open to everyone. If you plan to apply, keep in mind that:
- putting together a proposal takes time and effort
- it can take up to a year to get a project started
You will also have to provide comprehensive accounts and financial reporting to meet the programme criteria.
To apply, you should generally follow these simple steps:
1. Find a suitable call for proposal.
2. Find project partners, if the call is for a collaborative project.
3. Create an account on the Horizon 2020 participant portal.
4. Register your organisation to receive a 9-digit participant identification code.
5. Submit your proposal (make sure that you meet the deadline and scope of the call).
Read more about the steps involved in applying to Horizon 2020.
If you are thinking of applying to a Horizon 2020 call, see also help for Horizon 2020 applicants in Northern Ireland.