Authorised Economic Operators

How to apply for an AEO certificate

To obtain an Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) certificate, you must have an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number.

How to apply for AEO status

Your AEO application must be submitted by a responsible person in your business (for example, a partner or director). The proprietor must submit the application for sole traders.

If the application is made by someone else, they must have permission from a responsible person in the business. You’ll need to have evidence of your processes and procedures to support your application and meet the AEO criteria. Keep them for the HMRC audit visit.

You should also make sure that all essential personnel are available for HMRC AEO visits.

To apply for AEO status you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you apply.

Apply online for AEO status.

Applying for a safety and security certificate

If you're applying for a Safety and Security certificate, you should prepare for your HMRC visit by conducting a self-assessment to analyse whether you're able to meet the AEO security requirements. This assessment should be made available during the HMRC visit. You should also make available:

  • contracts for temporary personnel
  • details of owners of cargo units
  • all outsourcing contracts (including cleaning, security, and maintenance or anything else)

Economic Operator Registration and Identification Scheme

AEO operators and prospective AEO operators are required to register with the EORI Scheme.

AEOs must provide their unique EORI number to a customs authority when they import, export and move goods under a transit procedure