Creative industries: international trade regulations

Import regulations in the creative industries sector


As the European Union (EU) is a Customs Union, you can buy goods from other member countries without restrictions - although VAT and excise duty can still apply. See trading in the European Union.

If you import from outside the EU, you may have to comply with import licensing requirements and with common customs tariffs that apply across the EU. Read more about importing your goods from outside the EU.

Import licences

Import restrictions can be product-specific or trade-specific. Many products are subject to product-specific standards and need to be supported by applicable certificates, product-specific licences and documentation.

Quite separately, quantitative restrictions or limitations and anti-dumping duties may apply to certain imported commodities.

See - do you need an export or import licence?

Use the UK Trade Tariff for classifying your goods in order to find out which duties and measures apply.

Key import rules

Importers must comply with a range of general requirements. If your business activity involves selling works of art to overseas buyers through UK-based auction houses, auction houses will usually be able to help you comply with trade regulations.

Foreign artists and entertainers you bring in to the UK are subject to withholding tax. Read more about withholding tax.

Goods imported to the UK must comply with domestic business standards.