International trade regulations in the Household goods, furniture and furnishings sector

Import regulations in the household goods, furniture and furnishings sector

As the European Union (EU) is a Customs Union, you can buy most goods from other member countries without restrictions - although VAT and excise duty can still apply. Read more about trading in the European Union.

If you import from outside the EU, you may have to comply with import licensing requirements and with common customs tariffs that apply across the EU. Finid out about importing your goods from outside the European Union.

Import licences

Import restrictions can be product-specific or trade-specific. Many products are subject to product-specific standards and need to be supported by applicable certificates, product-specific licences and documentation.

Other regulations may impose permanent or ad hoc quantity restrictions, quotas and/or anti-dumping duties. See anti-dumping and countervailing duties.

For help identifying whether you require an import licence see: do you need an export or import licence?

Use the UK Trade Tariff for classifying your goods in order to find out which duties and measures apply.

The trade in certain goods may be prohibited unless you have a specific licence issued by the competent authority.

Upholstered furniture and mattresses imported to the UK for the domestic market must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988, which set out stringent flammability requirements. Imported furniture must be accompanied by documented proof of compliance and with the required permanent labels attached.

For advice on testing furniture to meet the requirements of the regulations, contact the UK Accreditation Service on Tel 01784 429 000.