International trade regulations in the paper and printing sector

Import regulations in the paper and printing industries

As the European Union (EU) is a Customs Union, you can buy most goods from other member countries without restrictions - although VAT and excise duty can still apply. Read more about trading in the European Union.

If you import from outside the EU, you may have to comply with import licensing requirements and with common customs tariffs that apply across the EU. Read more about importing your goods from outside the European Union.

Import licences

Import restrictions can be product-specific or trade-specific. Many products are subject to product-specific standards and need to be supported by applicable certificates, product-specific licences and documentation.

Other regulations may impose permanent or ad hoc quantity restrictions, quotas and/or anti-dumping duties.

Find out if you need an export or import licence.

Use the UK Trade Tariff for classifying your goods in order to find out which duties and measures apply. Read an introduction to the Tariff. Aside from setting out detailed descriptions of paper and printing products under their customs code number, the UK Tariff will show you whether any duties, prohibitions, restrictions and/or preferential measures apply to trade of that commodity within the EU and/or with third countries.

Most printed matter is free from customs duty and is also free from VAT in the UK.

Goods imported to the UK must comply with domestic business standards.