International authorisations and permits for road haulage


If you operate vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating above 3.5 tonnes on international journeys, you will need a number of authorisations and permits. The authorisations you must hold will depend on the countries in which the vehicle is to travel.

This guide covers the main authorisations and permits that you may require. It offers help on where to find more information and how to research the application procedures involved.

Important: If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, there will be significant changes to cross-border road haulage.

Goods vehicle operators need to make preparations for their international road haulage operations after Brexit.