Marketing to foreign-language customers needs careful planning. When you have identified a demand, you will need to work out how you are going to market your products or services abroad. This planning process is called 'localisation'. You will need to consider:
- translating brochures, instruction manuals, advertising materials, product packaging and online communications
- local technical standards, which may differ from those in force in the UK
- local laws which may restrict the sale of your goods or services, or determine the type of packaging you can use
- the translation of legal materials, including contracts with agents, wholesalers, and the terms and conditions of sale
- cultural differences, which can cause unexpected complications for businesses unfamiliar with local customs and conditions
Read more about trading in the European Union.