Paper manufacturing efficient design and resource use

Paper and cardboard manufacturing innovation


Innovative technologies, products, processes or services may improve your business. Some green technologies may also benefit the environment and are supported by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA).

However, before you use or develop innovative technologies or products of any type you need to consider their environmental impacts. The impacts of innovation can be unknown and you may need to take steps to comply with the law and protect the environment.

Business and technological innovation includes new:

  • uses of waste
  • waste recycling or reprocessing activities
  • wastewater treatment methods
  • approaches to cleaning up land contamination or water pollution
  • environmental and clean technologies
  • uses of chemistry and chemicals
  • uses of biotechnology or nanotechnology

If you are considering developing or using innovative products or processes, you should contact the NIEA as early as possible so that they can advise if there is anything you need to do, before you invest any money. You must make sure that you have all the appropriate permits, licences and exemptions in place before you start developing your product or process and trialling activities.

Field trials and testing

If you plan to carry out field trials on your product or process you should contact your local NIEA office.

Environmental and clean technology

Environmental and clean technologies are products or services that reduce the risk of harming the environment, minimise pollution, minimise the amount of materials used or correct environmental damage.

You may be able to improve your products or services by using clean technologies.

Waste controls on your activities

If any of your business activities produce waste, including waste from research or trials, you need to comply with your duty of care. If your waste is classed as hazardous waste, extra requirements will apply - see waste and hazardous substance responsibilities for paper and cardboard producers.

If you store, treat or dispose of waste, even as part of research or trials, you may need a permit, licence or exemption from the NIEA.

You must have the appropriate paperwork in place before you start your activities.

Storing waste

If you store samples of waste for testing or research, you may be able to register an exemption from waste management licensing. This is a paragraph 38 exemption.

Controlling air pollution and preventing water pollution

If your activities release emissions to air or the water environment, you may need a permit, authorisation or consent from the NIEA, your district council or your water and sewerage company.