Paper and cardboard manufacturing environmental regulation

Paper manufacturing carbon and other air emission authorisations


CO2 and other air emissions from your business' activities can cause air pollution, contribute to climate change and harm human health. You must check if your emissions need a permit, registration or other consent from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) or your district council.

Greenhouse gas permit - when you need one

Some energy intensive businesses are required to reduce CO2 emissions and trade allowances under the European Union Emissions Trading System (EU ETS). You should check if your business needs a permit under the EU ETS.

Your paper and cardboard installation must have an EU ETS permit if your business:

  • produces pulp from timber or other fibrous materials in industrial plant
  • produces paper and board in industrial plant that has a production capacity of more than 20 tonnes per day
  • carries out combustion installation activities with a rated thermal input exceeding 20 megawatts

See how to meet EU Emissions Trading System requirements.

Furnace or boiler approval - check if you need it

Your district council must approve your plans and specifications before you can use a new furnace (except a domestic furnace), fixed boiler or industrial plant, or if you make changes to an existing furnace. Planning permission or a building warrant is not sufficient. You must be able to operate the furnace continuously without emitting smoke when using the correct type of fuel - see preventing air pollution.

Reduce your energy use

Using energy efficiently and cutting your carbon emissions can benefit the environment and your business, for example by reducing your costs and improving your reputation - see reduce energy use and carbon emissions from paper and cardboard production.