Paper and cardboard manufacturing environmental regulation
Paper manufacturing radioactive substances certificates and exemptions
If your business uses radioactive substances you must take care to ensure you do not damage the environment or harm human health. You must minimise the amount of radioactive waste you create and dispose of any radioactive waste safely.
Paper and cardboard producers may have radioactive sources in:
- depth and density meters
- level-detection devices
- smoke-detection devices
Certificates of registration or authorisation - when you need one
You must have a certificate of registration from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) if you keep or use radioactive materials. You must register:
- open or unsealed sources on your premises
- closed or sealed sources on your premises
- mobile apparatus incorporating a sealed radioactive source
- mobile apparatus (open sources) for use in environmental studies
- radioactive packages stored in transit
You must have a certificate of authorisation if you dispose of or accumulate radioactive waste, unless your activities are covered by an exemption order - see managing radioactive substances.
NIEA Helpline0300 200 7856