Driver documents required for international road haulage

Passports and visas, driver's licence and age restrictions

You must have a number of documents ready to show when making trips out of the UK.


Vehicle drivers and any passengers or crew members in the vehicle must each have a valid passport. You should check the expiry date and the entry rules of the countries on your route.

Some countries may require a passport to be valid for a certain period after entry, eg to enter Turkey you must have 6 months left on your passport. Look at the ‘Entry requirements’ section of the countries you’re planning to visit.

UK passports are issued by the Identity & Passport Service (IPS). Find out how to apply for or renew a passport.


If you have a UK passport (or any EU passport) you don’t need a visa to enter other EU member states. You may need a visa if you’re travelling outside the EU. Look at the ‘Entry requirements’ section of the countries you’re planning to visit.

Driver's licence

If you drive a goods vehicle you must have the right category of licence for the vehicle you’re driving. You can see a list of driving licence categories.

You can use your current UK licence to drive the categories of vehicle for which it is entitled in all EU member states and European Economic Area (EEA) countries. Find information on driving in another country.

International driving permit

The International Driving Permit (IDP) shows the details of national driving licences in other languages. It allows foreign officials to confirm the identity of the permit holder, the driving category entitlements held and their validity periods. The IDP supports, but does not replace, your photocard or paper driving licence. You should still carry your full UK driving licence and passport with you at all times.

IDPs are issued by the following organisations:

You don’t need to be a member of either organisation to apply for an IDP, but you must be resident in the UK, over 18 years of age and have passed a driving test.