Exporting goods outside the EU

Preferential trade agreements

If you are exporting to a third country, which has a preferential trade agreement in place with the European Union (EU), you need to provide your customer with proof of the origin of the products in order to support the claim to preference at the time of importation. You must normally complete a Form EUR1. However, if the value of the goods is below a specified value, you can include the origin declaration on an invoice. Access a specimen form EUR1.

Read more about how trade preferences work.

You can also apply to become approved to make your own preferential origin declarations on invoices for consignments of any value. Read about European Community preferences: export procedures in Notice 827.

Some countries require a Certificate of Origin showing that the goods originate in the EU in accordance with non-preferential rules of origin. Your Chamber of Commerce can issue the certificate for a fee.

Many Arab countries require exporters to supply an Arab-British Certificate of Origin with each shipment of goods. The certificate must be authorised by the Arab-British Chamber of Commerce, who work with chambers of commerce countrywide. You will need to allow sufficient time for this procedure.

There are other reliefs which you may be eligible to claim on exported goods. These include customs duty and Common Agricultural Policy charges.