The Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) is the UK's national scheme for proof-of-age cards.
PASS brings in a common standard and accreditation process to help protect you and your employees when making age-related sales.
The PASS hologram indicates that the card issuer has passed the rigorous Trading Standards audit process and that you can rely on the card's authenticity.
How PASS makes life easier for retailers
If you are a retailer, PASS has several important benefits for you and your employees. It can help to:
- protect your business from receiving fines for selling age-restricted goods
- protect you from the loss of your premises licence
- clarify which cards are genuine
- give a single recognisable logo you can trust - the PASS hologram is a registered trademark, which means that to forge the hologram is a criminal offence
- make it easier to check the identity of the carrier against the photo and date of birth on the card with the PASS hologram
Almost two million young people hold proof-of-age cards bearing the PASS hologram, and numbers are increasing all the time.
The following cards are all part of PASS and are available nationally:
- VALIDATE UK
- Young Scot
- My ID card
There are a number of local and national schemes which produce PASS-accredited cards.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- Health and safety basics for business
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services