The essentials of international road haulage

Road consignment notes

If you want to use a provider to transport goods internationally by road, there is a standard contract you should use. This is a road consignment note - known as the CMR note - which confirms that the haulage company has received the goods and has a contract from the supplier to carry them.

On all international journeys - ie other than between the UK and the Republic of Ireland - a haulier must have a CMR note if carrying goods on a commercial basis.

Completing a CMR note

The CMR note can be filled out by the company sending the goods abroad, the haulier or by a freight forwarder, but must contain prescribed information.

You will need three copies of a CMR note, including one:

  • for the supplier of the goods
  • for the eventual customer
  • to accompany the goods while they are being transported

You can buy pre-printed pads of CMR notes from Road Haulage Association (RHA) and the Freight Transport Association (FTA).

For more information on how to complete and carry the CMR, see our guide on moving goods by road.