Product safety law

Safety regulations for firework manufacturers and importers


If you manufacture category 1, 2 or 3 fireworks (or import category 1, 2 or 3 fireworks which are manufactured outside the EU) you must ensure they conform to European safety standards before supplying them for sale to the public. To do this, you need to ensure that the fireworks have been tested by a notified body (NB).

Once the NB has approved them, the products must carry the CE mark and be correctly labelled with details of the manufacturer and importer.

Fireworks must not exceed 120 decibels. This inlcudes category 1, 2 and 3.

Category 4 display fireworks that are not intended for supply to consumers must be marked accordingly.

If you import fireworks, you must ensure they comply with the EU safety standards, carry the CE mark and supply information at the point of entry to ensure that fireworks are legally stored and distributed. This information should be given to HM Revenue & Customs and will then be sent to the relevant authorities responsible for storage licences so they can check on deliveries.

Licensing authorities can ask to see information relating to transactions of fireworks exceeding 50 kilograms of net explosive content.

If you want to manufacture fireworks in Northern Ireland, you need to obtain a licence from the Department of Justice (DOJ). You may also need a licence or certificate of registration from DOJ to store explosives as part of the manufacturing process.

For more information on fireworks manufacturing, see manufacturing explosives.

  • Department of Justice
    028 9076 3000