Selling online and the law
There are certain rules you must follow when selling goods over the internet (known as e-commerce).Transactions and any electronic marketing - such as promotional emails or online newsletters - are regulated.
The laws that relate to selling online include:
- E-commerce Regulations 2002
- Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003
- Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013
- Provision of Services Regulations 2009
- The Consumer Rights Act 2015
- General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
- Geo-Blocking (Enforcement) Regulations 2018
This guide introduces you to some of these regulations and provides advice on where to get additional information. However, it is not a substitute for professional legal advice.
Invest NI Helpline0800 181 4422