International trade regulations in the Energy and power sector

Sources of help and support in the energy and power sector

As an importer or exporter in the energy and power sector, you can turn to a range of bodies for help and information.

The government organisation with primary responsibility for providing trade support is Invest Northern Ireland. Find out about the Invest NI support for selling outside Northern Ireland.

Government sources of help and information

In addition to Invest Northern Ireland, other government bodies that provide business support in the energy and power sector include:

  • HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
  • If your business is involved in the import or export of renewable energy products, the Climate Change Projects Office (CCPO) may be able to assist you in pursuing opportunities arising from the Kyoto Protocol. CCPO is jointly funded by the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS) and the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC). 

Trade associations and other bodies

The Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem) is the regulator for Britain's gas and electricity industries. The price your business pays for electricity is governed by price control administered by Ofgem.

If your business is involved with nuclear-related products, you should be aware of the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG).

You may also come into contact with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), which promotes the safe and secure use of nuclear energy between United Nations member states.