If you are thinking of starting your own business you should consider the possibility of working from home.
Home-based businesses are a popular option for many types of smaller business. Generally the costs will be lower, you can avoid travel expenses and you have the freedom and flexibility to work the hours you choose in an environment that you create yourself.
Advances in technology mean that many kinds of business can be run from a home base.
This guide will help you decide whether starting a business from home is right for you. It also tells you what you need to do if you decide to start a home-based business.
Free business start-up support
Access free start-up business support from your local council. Contact them to get one-to-one advice from a business advisor and tailored guidance to develop your business plan.
Structure your business
Name your business
Register your business
Choose your premises
- How to employ staff for the first time
- National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates
- Carry out pre-employment checks
- Ensure your workers are eligible to work in the UK
- Get employers' liability insurance
- Issue a written statement of employment
- Set up your payroll and register for PAYE with HMRC