If you plan to start exporting from Northern Ireland, you’ll need to follow rules that depend on whether your goods or services are going to a country:
- in the EU
- outside the EU
- outside the EU, via an EU country
You can also complete our Get Export Ready tool which will help you identify the steps needed to succeed in export markets and find the right support to bring your product or service to market.
This guide explains the process of exporting - it covers key information including, duty costs, how to classify your goods for exporting, understanding regional trade agreements and what licences you may require.
Know your legal responsibilities
- Do you need a licence?
- Get the right business insurance
- Comply with the law when providing goods and services
- Know your customers' rights
- Distance and online selling rules
- Understand pricing legislation
- Buying goods from outside NI
- Selling goods outside NI
- GDPR compliance checklist
- Pay your business rates
- Understand staff contracts and your responsibilities
- Taking on contractors and subcontractors
- Health and safety basics for business
- Know your legal obligations on pensions
Understand tax and VAT
Sell and market your products or services