Taking your lorry or bus abroad


If you operate a lorry or bus abroad in connection with your business, you will need a number of permits and licences. Your lorry or bus driver will need to keep many of these in the vehicle at all times during the journey abroad. You may be required to keep some documents at your operating centre.

This guide lists all the permits and licences that your business and driver need in order to take your commercial vehicle abroad, and directs you to relevant guidance on each one. This guidance gives information on how to apply for that permit or licence and tells you when you may be asked to present it. Some permits and licences will allow travel in all European Union countries, but you may need special licences for certain loads or for travel in certain countries. This guide also directs you to information on laws that apply to drivers and vehicles travelling internationally.