Trade Control Licences


The overseas trade - also known as 'trafficking and brokering' - in military or dual-use goods requires specific licences.

If you or your business is involved in the transfer of controlled goods between one overseas country and another - in other words, if the deal is brokered either in the UK or by you or your business based overseas - you will need a Trade Control Licence.

Brokering could include a range of activities such as arranging supply from overseas factories, arranging intra-company transfers or drop shipping.

In the UK, Trade Control Licences are issued by the Export Control Organisation (ECO).

This guide explains what the Trade Control Licences are and how they work, providing information on the three different types of licence that are issued. You will also find details on the goods the licences cover and the system that is used to apply for them.