There are 7 types of OIELs:
- dealer-to-dealer (firearms)
- cryptographic (hardware/software/technology)
- UK continental shelf (off-shore installations)
- media (journalists, also aid workers)
- through life support military goods OIEL (introduced in February 2015)
These categories broadly cover exports of goods listed on the government’s UK strategic export control lists including: firearms and ammunition dealers, suppliers of cryptographic technology, exports to UK continental shelf installations such as oil platforms, media (press/TV) and similar companies exporting protection equipment, and exports for the through-life support of defence exports.